Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Power to the point

I thought I was totally awesome at PowerPoint. I had made heaps of presentations at my last library job. Little did I know I was just scratching the surface of all the capabilities that this program offers.

First, I had neglected to realize that all the book covers that I was using as images on previous presentations were possible copyright violations. Whoops! I never even considered the implications before ... I thought "we own the books, so it's no problem." Copyright issues are something that I will always have to be mindful of in the future.

I'm totally impressed with being able to link to websites and back and forth between slides. I was always using PowerPoint at it's most basic level and now I know that it can do so much more ... even photo editing. I'd like to add a video clip also, but I haven't figured out that yet.





Speaking of photo editing - I was so impressed with the Picasa photo editing program, but then I was so depressed when I realized that it's not compatible with a Mac. I post all my pics to Picasa and use a nifty photo uploader. Yet, I can't believe they don't offer a cross platform application. For goodness sake - it's Google we're talking about here! They continue to offer everything under the sun, but ignore the Mac users. It's a shame. Otherwise, I use the Image Tricks program for Macs for basic photo editing. It pales in comparison to what Picasa offers.





This program goes beyond the typical screen shot used in PowerPoint. Camtasia Studio is a video screen recorder, complete with the ability to add audio tracks. So, you can create a video presentation showing patrons how to apply for an E-card, guiding through the process with both video and an audio track describing the process.

No comments: