Monday, November 24, 2008

My Own Print Shop - Upgraded!

Working with Microsoft Publisher brought back memories of all the hours I spent using Print Shop for projects. In Elementary/Middle/ High School, this was the coolest program to use for posters and brochures for class. Not to mention, you could make nifty, personalized greeting cards on it also (the concept seemed super high-tech then).

Now, using Publisher is a total upgrade! I thought I was a Print Shop pro, and I realized that many of the concepts from that program were carried over into Publisher. So, I found it very easy to use. These programs are most useful for me when I have to use them to complete a task, and then learn by trial and error.

For my publication project, I decided to take a format used last summer for a flyer advertising a Battle of the Books system-wide program for youth. I changed the look in Publisher, made it into a brochure format, and updated the information to reflect the dates and books for Summer ’09. I’m not sure if the county will approve the use of this document (explanation below), but it was fun creating it! I tried to create something with a more exciting look that would provoke interest in the program and books.

The templates and opportunities available using publisher are extensive! I could think of dozens of ways that libraries could use this software. However, all the libraries I have worked with so far, have been a part of a large system. Therefore, all documents (book lists, publicity, brochures, posters, signs, bookmarks) MUST be designed by our graphic design/PR department. We give them the information we would like on the publication and from there on they have creative authority. I understand that the system wants a cohesive look to their printed materials and a centralized way of getting them done where they have control over everything that is displayed or given to the public. But I do wish that we had the opportunity to design our own publications without going through the long process of having another department complete the project for us.

I hope to use the skills I gained in this program to design my own publications, when needed, and attempt to collaborate with the graphic design/PR department. Ultimately, the staff that works with the public knows what the users want and the formats the information can best be delivered in. Otherwise, at least I can be a pro at making my own business cards and exploring other functions of Publisher for personal use!

No comments: